Monday, February 4, 2008

Bobby Knight

So... I often for some strange reason root for sports personalities that many times the majority of fans don't like. I am not sure why it is, but I have always liked Charles Barkley more than Michael Jordan, Bill Romanowski more than Joe Montana, and yes... Barry Bonds more than Mark McGwire (back when everyone loved McGwire). So, I guess that it doesn't surprise me that I paid more attention tonight to Bobby Knight retiring than I probably will whenever Coach K evently hangs it up at Duke.

I do not agree with everything that Mr. Knight has done in his life. But what I do know and understand is that there have not been very many, if any, other college basketball coaches in the history of the sport that have ever been as dedicated to the teaching of young men the game of basketball as Mr. Knight has. For somebody whose life that has completely been committed to the game of basketball, you must have respect for how he has "lived his life" for his game.

And that is what I guess that I can take away from a life like Bobby Knight's. Whatever you love, have a passion for, or enjoy doing... dive into it, work at it, struggle through its hard parts, learn everything you can about it, share it with others, etc. I think that is 'part' of what Paul means whenever he says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters" (Colossians 3:23 TNIV). I can't say that Bobby Knight was teaching the game of basketball as if working for the Lord or not, my guess is that he probably was not... but what I can say is that as a Christian I should have some of the same disciplines and the same dedication to my "work" as Mr. Knight has had. The "work" should never take the place of Christ, because it should always be 'in tune' with Him.

7 comments:

David Ruhman said...

I understand your point. It is good to take a look at those who model dedication to learn lessons for what we should be as Christians. I am not sure I could agree with your 'role models', but I can respect you for them - after all they are yours. Great Job! Keep it up! DAVID

Brian Beard said...

hey david, you are probably right about my choice of sports heroes. thanks for the comment.

BBEARD

Anonymous said...

Man, I am behind on the sports world...I did not know Coach Knight retired. I need a Kleenex...

MAC

Brian Beard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Beard said...

hey mac, how did you find this? And I think Coach Knight will be back in a year or two somewhere... don't cry to hard.

BBEARD

Crys said...

Brian- Wade and I e-mailed Mac. We think your posts are amazing and thought that he would agree. It seems like life gets so busy. Thanks for taking the time to share your heart and encourage us. We do need to talk about the McGwire thing! :) Just joking.
Crystal

Brian Beard said...

thanks for reading...really...

BBEARD