Sunday, February 17, 2008

Snapshots of the Globe

Poverty vs. Wealth
  • 20% of the world live on $1 per day
  • 20% live on $2 per day
  • 20% live on more than $70 per day
  • 40% are somewhere in between
  • 8% of people in the world own a car
  • the combined income of the 447 wealthiest people in the world have more money than 50% of the world's population...447 people have more money than the combined $ of 3.25 billion people

- Serving with Eyes Wide Open: Doing Short-Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence by David A. Livermore

May my eyes be opened to the world I live in. May I see the difference in my wants and my needs. May I come to understand the eternal value of my resources.

1 comment:

Mel said...

How crazy it that and how very sad. Just think what those few could do with their resources to change the lives of so many. It makes me realize I'm not a very good steward of what I've been given. I'm sure there is more I could be doing as well. Thanks for the post!