Thursday, February 7, 2008

That usually boring genealogy stuff...

The other day I started reading the gospel of Matthew. In most other previous times I have started reading Matthew, I have fastforwarded (is that a word?) to verse 18. I am pretty confident I am not the only one who does that, because I hate to say it, but who really cares about who is whose daddy and who did whoever marry inorder to have the son who is father of someone else... and so on and so on... Right, exactly why I always skipped to verse 18. I understand that the genealogy of Jesus is very important... in this case it introduces us to "such themes as the son of David, the fulfillment of prophecy, the supernatural origin of Jesus the Messiah, and the Father's sovereign protection of his Son in order to bring him to Nazareth and accomplish the divine plan of salvation from sin (Carson, D.A.)."

Thanks to bible commentaries, I can put things in quotes and fell like I am smart or even have any clue about what I am talking about.

Anyway....I know all of that is important... way more so then I understand.

But that day I read. And as I read through the list of moms, dads, and sons, I then came to verse 17 which reads, "Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah."

After I read that verse I paused.

And I thought... Man, I know that the line of people we can trace back the lineage of Jesus to is important. And I know that God likes to use certain numbers, like 3, 7, and 14, to do really cool stuff. And I've always heard and believed God's timing to be perfect. But what I didn't ever realize is that God's timing is not only perfect, but it is... the most perfectest (because I can't think of another better word).

I mean really, I have a hard time organizing my closet, keeping my desk clean at work, or even planning my weekend. But to have worked out generations of peoples' lives, whom they will marry, what kids they have, whose going to be king, whose gonna live where, and so on and so on... now that is some organizing, that is some planning, and that is the most perfectest timing.


And then I realized that God has done this for far more than 42 generations of people... rather he has always done this, continues to do this, and as far as I know will remain doing this. He has a plan... He will work out his plan in His timing... And it is up to me how I will play out my part in God's storyline.

May we realize that God's timing is perfect and that how we live out our part of His-story is really the thing that is important to someone living a life that is a vapor.

2 comments:

Lemon Princess said...

AWESOME BLOG AND POST! I am so excited to get to share your thoughts! Stinkin' awesome! Can't wait to read on!!

Brian Beard said...

thanks for reading... really

BBEARD

I have also bookmarked the Lemon Princess blog! I look forward to it as well!