Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Holiday At The Sea


On several occassions, I have heard or read John Piper comment on a quote from C.S. Lewis in his sermon, The Weight of Glory:

"If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong but too weak. We are halfhearted creatures fooling about with drink and sex and ambition, when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mudpies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

I have spent many hours of my life reflecting upon this quote since I first heard it several years ago. Everytime I have come to the same conclusion... I admit... I settle for mudpies. I am the ignorant child who cannot understand that a holiday at the sea awaits me. I am far to easily pleased with MY goals, MY ambitions, MY dreams. The "desires of MY heart" that the scriptures talk about, do not come close to the desires of GOD'S heart.

Ephesians 3:20 says that God is able to do more... sorry... immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine.

My Pastor always says "dream wildly." I think God shouts the same to us. He does not want us to be satisfied with our desires, He wants us to find the "infinite joy" found in the "holiday at the sea."

-Father as I continue to align my desires with yours, may you continue to remind me that my desires are small, and yours are large.

No comments: